Sunday, September 13, 2015

Kenneth's Birth Story... One Year Later

Hello All,

I figured sharing Kenneth's birth story with you one year later, was better than never! It was the most incredible day of my life. One of the BEST DAYS EVER!

His birth story.


When Dr. Corry checked me weeks before my due date I found that I was already dilated to a 2 and 80% effaced. Dr. Corry had planned his family vacation around Kenneth’s due date and was going to be gone the following week for it. Dr. Corry was a little worried about me going into labor while he was gone, so he introduced me to the back up doctor. I was totally freaked out. Especially because I was still working full time and I was still commuting every weekday from West Jordan to Provo. YUCK! So, I went with my friend Stefany Hiatt to the American Fork Hospital immediately after my appointment to register and get familiar with the hospital so that I could find my way there on the big day. I was both nervous and excited. I talked to my boss and the HR lady (Linda Stringer) about my situation and told them I could go into labor at work.

Well, weeks went by and NOTHING HAPPENED. I was slowly dilating and effacing the rest of the way but NO BABY! I finished out work and then was home the last 11 days waiting for him to come. It was awful to think he would be coming early only to have him arrive LATE! Talk about build up. I was so swollen by the end. My ankles were nonexistent. I always wondered what I would look like as a pregnant person. Now I know, I was BIG. I spent those last few days sitting on the couch, cuddling with Stig and wondering “what if I am in labor and just don’t know it because I am just that strong?” More ridiculousness… let’s blame that on the pregnancy brain.

Kenneth’s due date was September 11th. I actually hated telling people what his due date was because, its obviously associated with a terrible tragedy. So anytime I told people his due date I would say September 10th. Another mistake. I should have gone with September 12th. So September 10th came … and went. September 11th came and went. And that bring us to September 12th.
On September 12th we decided to go to a Korean Fusion restaurant with my siblings that live in Utah and their spouses. Bumblebee BBQ. Benson ended up knowing the owner and they hooked us up with some free samples and such. The food was spicy and delicious. After dinner we volunteered to babysit my nephew so that my brothers and their wives could go see Guardians of the Galaxy. Because it was just that great of a movie. Janson came and went. That evening Benson gave me an amazing massage where he used the pressure points his mother suggested, to help me go into labor.
I went to bed that night. I was currently sleeping in our guest room on a partially deflated blow up mattress. I liked it because it contorted to my ginormous belly. I highly suggest this for others. I actually got a tiny bit of sleep. Then around 2 am I woke up to the most intense sensation (we will use this work instead of pain) I had ever experienced. I screamed for Benson to come running. I was like “something is happening or something is wrong!” Benson was so out of it that he was not freaking out like I was. The intense sensations were coming every 5-6 minutes and we knew they were contractions. My water had not broken yet but since our doctor’s office is all the way in American Fork we decided it would probably be good to go in soon. So we waited a bit, collected our things and got into the car. THAT WAS THE LONGEST DRIVE OF MY LIFE!

I had been so worried that I would go into labor during rush hour that going in the middle of the night was a dream come true. There was no traffic and we flew to the hospital. The contractions became slightly closer as Benson would keep track of how often I said “Owww owww owwwo ww … oh babe!” I called my mom and dad. I wanted my mom to be there when I had him if possible but we decided that she would just get up and start driving as soon as I went into labor and just get there ASAP because labor takes a long time (usually). I then called my doctor, who said “ Ok I will meet you there”. Yes, I called him on his cell phone at home in the middle of the night and he came to my rescue.

I need to go on a tangent for one moment. I had the most incredible doctor on the planet. After my mission I was in a great singles ward with a great bishop. I was able to serve close with him as the relief society president and after leaving the ward we stayed in contact. When I found out I was pregnant, one of the first people I called was Dr. Corry. He came to my rescue so many times. I had pneumonia right after I found out I was pregnant and it was a Sunday. He checked me out on a SUNDAY! And helped me get better! So many times I would call or text him (and still do) and be freaking out about some weird pain or whatever and he would easily calm my fears. The first few weeks after bringing Kenneth home I was terrified of everything and he was always there to help me figure things out. I cannot express what a blessing this was and still is. He will forever have a special place in our family!

Now back to the nitty gritty. So we got to the hospital and checked in. I insisted on walking to Labor and Delivery. None of this wheelchair crap. The nurses checked me and I was dilated to a 7.5 and completely effaced. They asked me if I wanted an epidural as soon as possible and at this point my contractions were 4 minutes apart and I told them “No, I think I want to wait and see how much I can handle”. Yet another mistake! They took me to my room and we waited for Dr. Corry to arrive. He arrived shortly after and checked me again and decided to break my water for me. What a rush. … HAHAHA. I guess that’s only funny if its happened to you. A warm rush. Then Dr. Corry left and said he’d be back in an hour or so to see how I was progressing. He was gone for maybe 15-20 minutes and just walked by to see how I was doing and probably noticed how terrible I looked. I had a hard time talking because the contractions were so often and so strong. He decided to check me again and I was dilated to a 9 already. That baby was ready to come out! I then asked for an epidural because I felt like I was not going to pass out and miss the whole thing. But because I had said no earlier the anesthesiologist was busy juicing up two other ladies before me. So we waited and then he FINALLY arrived. He set me up and Benson held my feet as I hunched over. I don’t know why but Benson holding my feet was like the best thing ever. It was the only thing that gave me any relief. The anesthesiologist said he would wait to give me the epidural in between contractions so that I could relax my body a bit. But then he quickly realized that they were constant. So I tried my best to relax and he gave it to me. We waited I don’t know how long for it to settle in. It helped tremendously with my contractions. I could still feel them but I was able to talk and breathe still. Benson played Bill Cosby’s Natural Childbirth for me. Then I had the urge to push. The doctor and the nurse came in to assist and get me ready to have the babe.

The pushing part is kind of a blur. I just remember the nurse saying “Push like its going to come out your butt” and “push like you are really constipated”. I was lucky enough to get a nurse who had been doing deliveries for over 25 years, so I guess she just knows how to speak to women in labor. I am not sure how long this part lasted. I remember the nurse saying “ok we are going to stop pushing for a moment and give you time to rest”. I looked up at her and said “Are you serious? I cannot stop. The urge to push was way more than a urge. I could not stop myself. That baby wanted out and my body wanted him out too! So I pushed and I pushed and then all of a sudden, Dr. Corry said “ STOP PUSHING!” and I did not see this part but Benson said he came out VERY FAST! And at 7:21 am Kenneth Benson Tanner III arrived weighing in at 7 lbs 9 oz and 19.5 inches.

Now this next part I remember very vividly. I had such a rush. I kept saying “Is this for real?” and “This is so crazy”. I think I said it so much Dr. Corry kept laughing at me. I even asked him “Is that really my baby? Did that really come out of me?” He was mine. HE WAS MINE! I MADE HIM (with help). I was so in shock. I was so in love. I know he was growing inside of me and I had a ginormous belly to prove it but it wasn’t truly real until he came out. They gave him to me and I cried. I happy cried. He was perfect and he was mine.

I had been so terrified of labor because I did not know what to expect. It was the most incredible thing I have ever experienced. I felt closer to my Heavenly Mother than I ever have. I felt closer to my own mother too.

Dr. Corry thought it would be cool to show me the placenta. Benson thought it was cool, I just didn’t know what to think. Ew. The doc started sewing me up. He noticed that I was reacting to his needle and asked if I could feel what he was doing. And I said “yes” and at this point we realized that my epidural did not work all the way. It didn’t have enough time to make its way down. This was a surprise to me. The nurse told me that with the epidural I should still feel the urge to push and such, but I remember thinking wow this feels like way more than an urge. I am very VERY grateful that I did not know the difference because I probably would have been a lot more freaked out. Sadly I tore really badly and so it may have been nice to not feel all that fun but it was incredible to feel the process too.
Because of my quick labor my parents did not make it in time but once they did arrive I started crying again. Families are so important. They are a bond that cannot be created in any other setting. My mom has a favorite quote that she shares with us often that I love.

““Our family is a circle of love and strength. With every birth and every union, the circle grows. Every joy shared adds more love. Every obstacle faced together makes the circle stronger.”
I am so grateful that everything went so smoothly. I am also grateful that I was able to have Kenneth. This past year I have had many friends and family members who have not been able to conceive, lost babies or had children with major medical issues. I hope that I have not offended any of them or others by sharing me story. I have learned so much from their examples and their faith. I am not sure I could handle the difficulties they have faced. You are my heroes.

So now that we celebrate Kenneth’s first birthday. I can say that this year has been the greatest of all I have experienced. He has brought so much joy into our lives and I still often ask myself “Is this real? Is this really my baby?” He is bubbly, and energetic. He is sweet and spunky. He loves his dog and his mommy and daddy. I love him more than I could have ever imagined and the best part is, it just gets better everyday!

Happy Birthday Kenneth! 

No comments:

Post a Comment